Top tips for keeping your dog cool in hot weather
- Shade – make sure your pet has plenty of shade available at all times in hot weather.
- Do not over exercise them especially at the hottest part of the day – all dogs love to play and sometimes don’t know when to stop !
- Limit exercise to short walks and playtime – bring them in out of the sun during the hottest part of the day.
- Water – ensure that drinking water is available at ALL times.
- It’s not necessary to put ice into their bowls as most dogs prefer to drink from water at room temperature.
- If you exercise near water and your dog like to swim/paddle ensure that they re not over exhausted prior to entering the water and supervise at all times.
- Cooling mats – great ideas to help keep your dog cool and usually keep the temperature 5 to 10 degrees cooler than the air temperature
- Cooling jackets are also available in various forms, some using a gel and others just using water.
- Fans – many dogs will enjoy having a fan going to help circulate the air – a bowl of water or a water soaked cloth placed in front of the fan will help to reduce the temperature.